Ballymaquiff Castle, near Labane, Ardrahan, County Galway; € 145,000.
Historic Irish Castle located on approx four acres, probably constructed by the De Burgo family in the late 14th/ early 15th century. A fortified Tower House, or Keep, full of history and drama: should appeal to the Castle Enthusiast.
This castle is situated on c.4 acres. 7 miles from Gort and 5 miles from Kinvara. A mile from Labane village and 2 miles from Ardrahan Village. It has extensive road frontage and beautiful views and is adjacent to the old Sligo/ Limerick railway line.
- Thought to be once the possession of the Burke (De Burgo) Clan
- Very centrally located
- Extensive road frontage
- Ideal for conversion
- Feature cut stone windows and doors.
Coming from Galway take the N18 towards Gort. Take a right into Labane village, from here take the Kinvara road for 1 mile, the Castle is directly after the bridge on your left.
History of Ballymacquiff Castle;
This castle stands to the left of the Gort-Ardrahan rail-line. A mile and a half S.- S.W. from Ardrahan and less than a mile S.E. from Drumharsna Castle.
It is reduced to a height of about 40 feet and is about 30ft x 25ft length and breath respectively.
The ground apartment has a pointed vaulting and to the right of the 5ft square hallway a pointed door leads tot e circular stone stair. The doorway (pointed) on the left of the hallway opens to a small apartment over which there is a similar on which is entered from the stair by a pointed doorway. The second storey is also vaulted and the stair continues to the top of this vaulting which is now the op of the castle. The second floor hosts a fireplace.
The stair is lighted by several narrow slits. Each wall has a headed light 6” wide. They give light to the second storey. There is a narrow round-headed cut-stone opening near the top of the N.Wall. It has a chamfered moulding. The entrance doorway is pointed. This castle resembles Drumharsna castle which has similar hallways, windows, vaultings etc. It is therefore probably 16th Century.
Ballymacquiff like Drumharsna was also in the O’Heyne territory and was probably built by them. It was however owned by another member of the French family in 1650, Christopher French and later in 1675 by his son Arthur French, Mayor of Galway. Upto the close of the 18th Century, Ballymacquiff which was part of the Tyrone estates owned by the Frenches was the property of that family. The administrations of the estates were at that period entrusted by the creditors of the Court of Chancery. (There is nothing definite from History or Local tradition as to whether the Castle was ever occupied by the Frenches or not).
There are some fine views from its parapets which take in the surrounding countryside.
Maps available on request.
All Photographs courtesy of Chris Deakin, www.formerglory.ie
Ber Rating: Exempt
Important: Visitors to the Castle enter at their own risk.
For Viewings and Brochures: Please contact sole agent:
Helen Cassidy, MRICS B.A.(Mod)MSCSI,
Auctioneer and Valuer,
Clonbur, County Galway, Ireland.
00 353 949546868
These particulars are intended to give a fair description of the property only and are in no way guaranteed, nor do they
form part of any contract. They are issued on the express condition that all negotiations are conducted through Helen
Cassidy. All properties are offered subject to contract and to being unsold.